BusinessFrontNewsTop Stories

Airbus the World’s largest passenger jet A380 to cut down production

Airbus sought to reassure investors on Wednesday that its decision to cut production of the world’s biggest passenger jet, the A380, would not badly hurt the group, while bracing for fresh losses on a second flagship European project.

Doubts over demand for the double-decker A380 and more cost overruns on the A400M military airlifter overshadowed fresh jet orders as the two planes, developed at a combined cost of 35 billion euros, flew under grey skies at the Farnborough Airshow.

Airbus Group CEO Tom Enders said the company remained optimistic about long-term prospects for the 544-seat A380, and hoped to return to higher levels of output in the years ahead.

“I hope that this is only a year or two and then we can raise production rates again,” he told reporters at the show.

Enders was speaking a day after Airbus cut its target for A380 deliveries to 12 a year from 2018, from 27 in 2015, and well below its current breakeven point, due to weak demand.

The reduction deals a blow to one of Europe’s biggest and most expensive industrial projects.

“This can only be a modest surprise given the weak order intake in recent years and may reflect one or two recent sales campaign losses or postponements,” said Harry Breach, aerospace analyst at Raymond James.

Reuters reported last month that doubts were growing over an order for 12 of the jets from Iran.

Although Airbus insists the A380 is “here to stay,” industry sources say the project is effectively in a strategic holding pattern while Airbus takes advantage of low oil prices to defer decisions on whether to invest more or let it fade away.

Airbus and US rival Boeing have enjoyed years of booming sales, driven by rising air travel and demand for new fuel-efficient planes.

But risks to the global economy, from slowing growth in China to Britain’s decision to leave the European Union, have caused sales to diminish and analysts are worried some of the industry’s record order backlog could be deferred or cancelled.

Airbus said, however, it did not expect a wave of order postponements.

So far at the Farnborough show, the industry’s showcase event, Airbus and Boeing have announced combined business worth more than $60 billion (nearly Rs 4 lakh crore). But that includes deals that confirmed preliminary agreements, and is below the more than $100 billion (nearly Rs 6.65 lakh crore) of business they closed at last year’s sister event in Paris.

Boeing executives raised doubts over the sustainability of some of the orders announced by rival Airbus, but the European company said it was building a solid backlog of business.

NMTV

NMTV was launched in the year 1999, and is Maharashtra only accredited 24-hour, 7-day-a-week local cable news station of Navi Mumbai airing news bulletins and programs in English, Hindi and Marathi. NMTV represents the state-of-the-art in local television news coverage, delivering on a commitment of responsible and community-oriented journalism on an around-the-clock basis.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close