The BMC education budget announcement began with chaos on Wednesday after some members alleged that they had not received the agenda of the meet in advance.
Here’s a quick look at some of the provisions announced.
– BMC sets education budget for 2017-18 to Rs 2311.66 crore, lesser than last year’s budget of Rs 2394.40 crore.
– BMC allocates Rs 1.16 crore to provide attendance allowance for Divyang students.
– BMC creates a new post of Additional Education Officer for effective functioning.
– Even as some of the already existing virtual classrooms lie unused, BMC allots more than Rs 20 crore for some more virtual classrooms.
– Rs 1.20 crore allotted to the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ project for girl students between Class 6 and 9 . Programmes like personality development camps, documentary screenings etc to be organised under this.
– This time, students would be provided the free educational materials on the reopening day itself. A budgetary provision of Rs 98.18 crore has been set aside for school essentials.
– Also, 114 municipal schools will now operate from kindergarten itself. At present, all BMC schools (around 1200) start from standard 1 to 10. These schools from kindergarten are expected to increase the student intake in civic schools.