FrontNavi MumbaiNewsTop Stories

Fire exposes huge fire safety violations at APMC wholesale market Vashi

The Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) has taken the APMC administration to task over the absence of pillar post hydrants in the market complex.

Two shops at the wholesale APMC market caught fire on Sunday. Shops 33 and 34 in Masala market of APMC had caught fire around 1 pm on Sunday. Prima facie, a short circuit is believed to have caused the fire, said authorities.

There was no loss of life but the financial loss was huge.

Meanwhile, a water tanker of the dire department fell on its side while negotiating a turn. Two firemen were injured in the incident.

Fire officer Prabhakar Gadhe said, “The driver Parmehwar Arenvuru and the fire fighter Santosh Jadhav hurt in the accident have been admitted to NMMC Hospital at Vashi.”

He added, “It took us over five hours to get the fire under control.”

The fire that began with the shops soon engulfed several other shops in the area.

Fire officials used a large volume of water to douse the blaze. Several water tenders were sent to the spot from Vashi fire station.

The incident has brought to light the absence of pillar post hydrants in the APMC complex. The NMMC took the APMC administration to task for the negligence.

Meanwhile, the APMC administration demanded that since the wholesale market is fireprone, there should be a permanent fire station in the market complex. NMMC has, however, rejected the demand stating that the Vashi fire station is at a short distance from APMC and hence a separate fire station is not required at the market.

Daily transactions worth hundreds of crores are conducted in the wholesale market.

The market constructed by Cidco has been given to APMC to administer.

The market located in sector 19 of Turbhe is considered the biggest wholesale market in Asia. There are five wholesale markets in the market including onion-potato, grains, spices, fruit and vegetable market.

Additional municipal commissioner Ankush Chavan said, “We held an urgent meeting with the APMC administration on Monday in the context of the fire in the market on Sunday. We pointed out to them the absence of water hydrants in the wholesale market. In the absence of availability of water source at the market, the fire tenders had to source water from its fire station in Vashi.”

He added, “The fire tenders had to make several trips. We made it clear that such a situation is unacceptable.”


NMTV was launched in the year 1999, and is Maharashtra only accredited 24-hour, 7-day-a-week local cable news station of Navi Mumbai airing news bulletins and programs in English, Hindi and Marathi. NMTV represents the state-of-the-art in local television news coverage, delivering on a commitment of responsible and community-oriented journalism on an around-the-clock basis.

Related Articles

Back to top button