NMMC Elections are just two months away but its results seem to be easily predictable even now. Ganesh Naik is all set to retain NMMC and that too for a record 6th term. NMTV’s first pre poll analysis points to a comfortable majority for Ganesh Naik’s BJP in NMMC.
NMMC POLLS 2020 HAS MANY FIRSTS FOR GANESH NAIK
In comparison to all previous municipal elections that Ganesh Naik led political parties won in Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation, the upcoming elections are the one that have many firsts. This is because in the last 5 years, Ganesh Naik was not only out of power but in 2016, when Tukaram Mundhe took charge of NMMC, he changed the course of all political events in Navi Mumbai. The situation of hostilities between administration and Ganesh Naik led ruling NCP at that time became such that Ganesh Naik was abstained from gracing NMMC events. This single change led to Ganesh Naik’s public appearances declining to extent that never happened in Navi Mumbai. Post Tukaram Mundhe’s exit in 2017, while his appearances did increase but to a limited extent. Meanwhile, the Modi era challenges continued to haunt Ganesh Naik until close to assembly polls, Ganesh Naik defected to the BJP. And these municipal elections become the first where he will lead BJP party in the polls.
5 – STAR PERFORMANCE OF NMMC UNDER GANESH NAIK’S LEADERSHIP
It’s not just the political skills that Ganesh Naik masters in Navi Mumbai. But also has created an impeccable record of public works and civic decisions in NMMC, many of which no municipal corporation in the state have matched so far. It begins with
- Owning Morbe Dam for regular water supply to Navi Mumbaikars
- 750 metric tonnes of garbage disposed off scientifically at Turbhe Landfill site
- 6 Environment Friendly STP plants
- City commuting and transport infrastructure is at its best – from footpaths, to roads, to skywalks and even a city mobility plan.
- Navi Mumbai is the only city in the state perhaps that can beat Bangalore in taking over as the “Garden City.” And the list of gardens include some iconic ones like Central Park, Wonders Park, Sensory Park for Divyangs, Amusement Park, Zen Garden, Smuritivan among others.
- Public Healthcare has improved leaps and bounds with the NMMC Hospitals at Vashi, Nerul and Airoli
- Inclusion of CBSE school and digital classrooms across NMMC Schools in Navi Mumbai
- Recreational Center across wards for senior citizens
- NMMC boasts of a A1+ Credit Rating by CRISIL
- And finally without any financial burdens or strains, giving Navi Mumbaikars no hike in water or property tax for the last 20 years and for the next 5 years as well.
And these are just few of the many other achievements that NMMC has consistently achieved over decades under Ganesh Naik.
THERE IS NO MATCH FOR GANESH NAIK’S MIGHT AND POWER IN NAVI MUMBAI
While the Congress, NCP and Shiv Sena might rule the roost in the state and elsewhere, they hold no chance in Navi Mumbai. None of these party has any capable leaders in Navi Mumbai to lead their parties in the polls or take on the might and power that Ganesh Naik holds on public representatives and people in Navi Mumbai. Ganesh Naik’s exit has made NCP literally “empty” in Navi Mumbai while the Congress and Shiv Sena are ridden with challenges of their own factions and leader of each faction waiting for chances to take the other down. Not to forget that in Navi Mumbai, all factional leaders, corporators and party workers of all political parties are in good books of Ganesh Naik.
IN NAVI MUMBAI NO ONE DARES TO TAKE ON GANESH NAIK
On the face of it, Navi Mumbai has seen leaders of political parties, even at corporator level, criticizing Ganesh Naik behind the scenes and even as an opposition on the face of it. But on ground, in reality no one dares to take on Ganesh Naik. Political pundits say that the reason for this is simple – even these opposition leaders know that to be a part of Navi Mumbai politics, they need Ganesh Naik’s blessings all the way. Outside of Navi Mumbai, no leader encroaches the space Ganesh Naik enjoys as the tallest leader of Navi Mumbai. This includes Urban Development Minister Eknath Shinde who never interferes in Ganesh Naik’s Navi Mumbai and reportedly silently maintains a healthy relationship with Ganesh Naik. Not to forget that at the moment Eknath Shinde has his own political challenges of being side-lined by the CM Uddhav Thackeray led government.
GANESH NAIK’S BJP TO IN BETWEEN 60 to 70 SEATS
In the backdrop of the current political circumstances, it’s not difficult to read the results of NMMC Elections 2020. That too long before the official announcement of the elections and its dates. Ganesh Naik’s BJP, with one of the strongest report cards of municipal corporation performances, is all set to retain NMMC for a record 6th term with 60 to 70 seats. Making the elections a mere formality on the face of it, atleast for now.
With bureau inputs, #ZebaWarsia for NMTV News.