More than 10 people have died while about 1000 have been hospitalised after a case of gas leakage was reported from LG Polymers chemical plant in RR Venkatapatnam village located in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
The Vizag factory was trying to open post lockdown when the incident occurred. The police officer, Swaroopa Rani said that the citizens raised an alarm at around 3 am on Thursday when they noticed a toxic smell in the air. The following day people in the 3 km radius around the industry became unconscious and people including women were fallen on the roads.
The horrifying incident took place when gas leaked from a 5000-tonne cylinders which underwent wear and tear as the machines and cylinders were left unattended due to the national lockdown commenced by the Indian government which resulted in the closure of companies and industries. According to reports the gas identified as styrene is used to manufacture plastic polymers, rubber and latex.
According to Dr Raghunatha Rao, former director of the Homi Bhabha Cancer Hospital and Research Centre Exposure to the gas may not be fatal but cause respiratory problems, irritations in the eyes and also give rise to gastrointestinal problems
The scenes reminded of the Bhopal gas tragedy in 1984.
– Christo Freddy, NMTV News