FrontNewsTop StoriesWorld

Istanbul tourist square rocked by explosion leaves ten dead & fifteen wounded

Ten people were killed and fifteen others were wounded after a large explosion rocked a central Istanbul square on Tuesday, a statement from the Istanbul governor’s office said.

Investigations were being conducted into the type of explosive which caused the blast and those responsible, the governor’s office statement said.

Ambulances rushed to the site in Sultanahmet square, close to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, in a major tourist area of Turkey’s most populous city, ferrying away the wounded as police cordoned off streets.

“We’re taking precautions against a second explosion,” the police officer said, ushering people out of the square.

Turkey’s AHaber television said the blast may have been caused by a suicide bomber but this was not independently confirmed.

“The explosion was very loud. We shook a lot. We ran out and saw body parts,” one woman who works at a nearby antiques store told a Reuters correspondent, declining to give her name.

Kurdish, leftist and Islamist militants have all carried out attacks in Turkey in the past.

Turkey has also become a target for Islamic State, with two bombings last year blamed on the radical Sunni Muslim group, in the town of Suruc near the Syrian border and in the capital Ankara, the latter killing more than 100 people.istanbul suspected

NMTV

NMTV was launched in the year 1999, and is Maharashtra only accredited 24-hour, 7-day-a-week local cable news station of Navi Mumbai airing news bulletins and programs in English, Hindi and Marathi. NMTV represents the state-of-the-art in local television news coverage, delivering on a commitment of responsible and community-oriented journalism on an around-the-clock basis.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close