FrontNewsTop StoriesWorld

Pollution red alert for ten Chinese cities issue reveals report

More than 100 million people in China have been warned to stay indoors after at least 10 Chinese cities issued red alerts for smog, state media reported on Thursday.

Pollution covered large parts of the country’s east and centre as measures to curb the toxic haze were ordered to be implemented. The alert came as broad swathes of the country suffered through their fourth wave of choking pollution this month.

In addition, the eastern province of Shandong, home to almost 96 million and some of the 10 cities under red alert, issued its first ever top-level warning Wednesday, the provincial environmental bureau said.
It is believed to be the first time an entire province has issued a red alert.

The ten cities include the sprawling industrial hub of Tianjin in the northeast. Counts of PM2.5 — harmful microscopic particles that penetrate deep into the lungs — in one of the cities under red alert, central Henan Province’s Xinxiang, were as high as 727 micrograms per cubic metre earlier Thursday, according to provincial authorities.

The reading is nearly 30 times the World Health Organisation’s recommended maximum exposure of 25 over a 24-hour period. The sharp rise in alerts follows Beijing’s decision earlier this month to issue its first ever red alerts, the highest in its four-tier system, in response to scathing public criticism about the government’s handling of the chronic haze.

The capital cancelled its red alert for pollution at midnight on Tuesday as a cold front blew away the foul air, state-run Xinhua news service said Thursday. The notice saw factories ordered to close and half of all private cars pulled off the streets, among other measures.

In an announcement on Wednesday, the national environmental bureau has ordered six major cities, which were not named, to evaluate their warning systems, it said, adding that they should improve implementation “emergency emissions reduction” measures.Beijing Red Alert

NMTV

NMTV was launched in the year 1999, and is Maharashtra only accredited 24-hour, 7-day-a-week local cable news station of Navi Mumbai airing news bulletins and programs in English, Hindi and Marathi. NMTV represents the state-of-the-art in local television news coverage, delivering on a commitment of responsible and community-oriented journalism on an around-the-clock basis.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close