FrontNewsTop StoriesWorld

President-elect Donald Trump warns U.S companies over outsourcing of jobs

President-elect Donald Trump warned on Thursday that U.S. companies would face “consequences” for outsourcing jobs abroad, as he touted his early success in persuading an air conditioner maker to keep about 1,000 jobs in the United States rather than move them to Mexico.

“Companies are not going to leave the United States anymore without consequences. Not going to happen,” the Republican said on a visit to a Carrier Corp plant in Indianapolis.

Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20, did not say what the consequences would be, but he frequently threatened during the election campaign that his administration would put a 35 percent import tariff on goods made by American manufacturers that moved jobs offshore.

It is unclear what steps would have to be taken by federal authorities before Trump could retaliate against individual companies shifting jobs abroad.

Trump also did not address whether Carrier’s parent company, United Technologies (UTX.N), would face any consequences for continuing with plans to move 1,300 other Indiana jobs to Mexico.

Trump made keeping jobs in the United States one of the main issues of his campaign and frequently pilloried Carrier for planning to move production to Mexico as he appealed to blue-collar voters in the Midwest.

Apparently under pressure from Trump, Carrier announced this week it had agreed to keep more than 1,000 jobs at the plant and at its headquarters, while still planning to move more than 1,000 other U.S. jobs to Mexico.

Trump said his negotiations with the maker of air conditioning units were a model for how he would approach other U.S. businesses that are tempted to move jobs overseas to save money.

He pledged to create a healthy environment for business through lower taxes and fewer regulations.

“I just want to let all of the other companies know that we’re going to do great things for business. There’s no reason for them to leave anymore,” Trump said.

If that approach did not work, there would be penalties, Trump warned.

SANDERS CRITICISM

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders, who lost the Democratic nominating race to Hillary Clinton, said the Carrier deal was incomplete and left the incoming Trump administration open to threats from companies.

“Trump has endangered the jobs of workers who were previously safe in the United States. Why? Because he has signalled to every corporation in America that they can threaten to offshore jobs in exchange for business-friendly tax benefits and incentives,” Sanders wrote in a Washington Post opinion piece on Thursday.

He noted that Trump had originally said he would save 2,100 jobs that Carrier planned to move to Mexico.

“Let’s be clear: It is not good enough to save some of these jobs,” Sanders said.

Despite Trump’s deal, employers elsewhere in Indiana are laying off five times that many workers because of foreign competition.

Trump was due to hold a rally in Cincinnati later on Thursday and address supporters who helped him win the swing state of Ohio in his upset victory over Clinton.

The Indiana and Ohio stops are Trump’s first public events since he won the presidency.

At the Cincinnati event, Trump and Pence will talk about what is ahead and the “positive change” Trump will bring to the country, spokesman Jason Miller said.

On Wednesday, Trump said he would nominate former Goldman Sachs banker Steven Mnuchin to lead the Treasury Department. Trump named Wilbur Ross, a billionaire known for his investments in distressed industries, as his nominee for commerce secretary.

The Cincinnati rally follows a car and knife attack this week by a Somali immigrant and Muslim student, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, at Ohio State University in Columbus that injured 11 people. The Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility.

In a Twitter message, Trump said: “ISIS is taking credit for the terrible stabbing attack at Ohio State University by a Somali refugee who should not have been in our country.”

The Council on American-Islamic Relations accused Trump of seeking to exploit the “tragic situation in Ohio.”

 

NMTV

NMTV was launched in the year 1999, and is Maharashtra only accredited 24-hour, 7-day-a-week local cable news station of Navi Mumbai airing news bulletins and programs in English, Hindi and Marathi. NMTV represents the state-of-the-art in local television news coverage, delivering on a commitment of responsible and community-oriented journalism on an around-the-clock basis.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close