“A rockstar politician with dreams of a new India, Indian opposition leader and Congress party president Rahul Gandhi struck the right notes on pluralism and compassion on Friday, the first day of his two-day visit to the UAE” reported Khaleej Times post the phenomenal response that Gandhi received at Dubai stadium. Earlier in the day, Rahul Gandhi met Indian workers at a labour accommodation in Jebel Ali and assured them he would be their voice if they didn’t have one. Taking a dig at PM Narendra Modi, Rahul Gandhi said that he was in Dubai to hear the labour’s mann ki baat. What did stand out to everyone who met Rahul Gandhi during his visit was that he was humble, accessible, friendly and engaging. In the evening, during his address to a packed Dubai International Cricket Stadium on a nippy night, the crowd overflowed on the roads outside the venue as they hung on to his every word. Here are the top quotes from his speech :
• The values that bring together the people of UAE and India are humility and tolerance; tolerance for different ideas, religions and communities. I’m sad to say that back home it is four and a half years of intolerance.
• Mahatma Gandhi picked up the idea of non-violence from every great religion where it is clearly written that violence will not help you achieve anything.
• Single biggest problem that we face in India today is unemployment. We need to take this head-on. We need to show the rest of the world that not only we can beat unemployment but we can also challenge China. Secondly, our farmers are in trouble and we need second Green Revolution.
• When I met Your Highness Vice President & Prime Minister of UAE, I experienced humility. Great nations are built with that kind of humility.
• It is impossible for our great country to be strong if it is divided.
• I’m sad to say that back home it is four and a half years of intolerance.
• You have mentioned to me that you have a desire to be represented in Indian politics. We are going to make sure that your voice is heard in your country.
• My doors are open for you. Tell me how I can help. I am at your service. We are facing an electoral battle in 2019. We will win that battle and bring everyone together and move forward.
• I want to tell you that till the day I die, my doors, my ears and my heart will always be open for you.
Taking a jibe at the BJP’s ‘Congress-mukt Bharat slogan, he said “we don’t need a ‘BJP-mukt Bharat’. We want an India where every citizen says he is an Indian first and then the rest”.
The stadium was filled up with tens of thousands of people from several states across India. On day two, Rahul Gandhi met Indian students at MIT Dubai followed by his visit to UAE’s capital Abu Dhabi. Zeba Warsia – NMTV News.