The Maharashtra government on Tuesday admitted that Mumbai has over 600 buildings which have been classified as “most dangerous.” This comes on the back of a four storied building collapsing in Ghatkopar.
“According to a survey conducted by the municipal corporation in April / May 2017, a total of 617 buildings were found to be in the C-1 category of most dangerous and dilapidated structures,” said Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in a written reply to a question by Subhash Panditseth Patil of the Peasants and Workers Party (PWP) and others in the state assembly during the ongoing monsoon session on Tuesday, reported DNA. The Maharashtra chief minister further stated that according to the Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act, 1888, it was mandatory for all buildings over the age of 30 years to submit a structural audit report.
Fadnavis talked about measures taken against these dilapidated buildings and added that of the 617 buildings, 112 had been evacuated and 42 cases have been sent to the technical advisory committee to look into the matter. The water and power supply of another 140 buildings has been cut while this action is underway in another 211 cases as well. A total of 112 cases are sub-judice and for 45 cases, an affidavit has been submitted to the court stating that in a case of any collapse, the BMC will not be responsible as prior notices were already given.
“Since there is no guarantee about the time that will be taken to reconstruct these buildings, the tenants do not vacate them,” said Fadnavis, adding that amendments had been made to the Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act, 1888, to ensure the protection and security of these stakeholders